Chocolate Dipped Strawberries are a tempting, luxury-style treat for any special occasion. Whether it’s Valentine’s Day, a birthday, Mother’s Day, or just because, people love to receive this special sweet treat. They’re pretty expensive to buy, but surprisingly easy (and fun!) to make yourself. This post and video will show you the process step-by-step.
There is something so special about making a homemade gift. Friends and family always appreciate it when you’ve taken the time to make something special from the heart. Chocolate dipped strawberries are scrumptious, gluten free, and can easily be made vegan or dairy free using dark chocolate. Who wouldn’t love to receive a gorgeous box of homemade chocolate dipped strawberries?
In some specialty stores and gourmet markets, a dozen chocolate dipped strawberries will cost you upwards of $50. No need to spend the money when you can make them at home for a quarter of the price! As we approach spring the grocery stores and farmer’s markets will be teeming with luscious red berries; you can even buy the extra large long stemmed berries for a few dollars more.
I have provided three options for decorating your strawberries below– plain milk or dark chocolate, drizzled with white chocolate, and dipped in nuts. You can also dip them in candy sprinkles, chocolate chips or chocolate cookie crumbles. Sprinkle dark chocolate strawberries with a few flakes of sea salt for a sweet-and-salty effect. Use a higher quality chocolate for the best flavor. To make dairy free, vegan strawberries, use dairy free chocolate for dipping. There are many delicious possibilities!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 lb large ripe strawberries (long stems are best)
- 1/2 lb chopped chocolate or chocolate chips - milk, semi sweet or dark (8 oz)
- 1/4 lb white chocolate (optional) (4 oz)
- 1 cup chopped nuts - pecans or almonds (optional)
- Rinse the berries well and pat dry (make sure they're completely dry with no drops of water present). Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper, or nonstick foil.
- Melt your chocolate. If you are using both dark and white chocolate, you will need to melt the two separately. The chocolate melts best with indirect heat-- I use a double boiler pan. If you don't have a double boiler, simmer 2 inches of water in a saucepan, then place a heat-safe bowl in the water and melt the chocolate in the bowl.
- Alternatively, you can microwave the chocolate on 50% power power for 2 minutes (or until melted), stirring once halfway through cooking. At the end of cooking, stir-- if the chocolate is not melted smooth, continue to microwave in 15 second increments till fully melted.Once your chocolate is melted, you're ready to decorate. Assemble your parchment lined baking sheet, melted chocolate, and chopped nuts, if using.
- Dip the strawberries one by one into the melted chocolate, coating them 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up. Lift and twist the strawberry as you pull it out of the chocolate, letting the excess drip back into the bowl.
- If you don't plan to dip the strawberries in chopped nuts, place the dipped strawberries onto the parchment. Do not move or touch them once you've set them down, or you will disturb the lovely chocolate shell.
- If you plan to dip the strawberries in chopped nuts, roll the chocolate dipped strawberries gently in the nuts to coat before placing them on the parchment.
- After dipping the strawberries in chocolate, if you want to drizzle them with white chocolate, pour the melted white chocolate into the corner of a plastic zipper bag and seal. Cut a very small tip off the corner of the bag.
- Gently squeeze the white chocolate through the hole in the corner, drizzling the chocolate in a thin stream on top of the chocolate dipped berries, moving your hand to create artistic squiggles.
- Once your strawberries are decorated, place them in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes till the chocolate sets.
- You can serve the chocolate strawberries chilled or at room temperature. Chilled strawberries will have a nice crunch to the chocolate-- room temp will make the chocolate a bit softer to bite through. Place them in a pretty tissue-lined box for gift giving, if desired.