About Tori Avey

Thanks for stopping by! I am fascinated by the story behind the food – why we eat what we eat, how the foods of different cultures have evolved, and how yesterday’s food can inspire us in the kitchen today. Read more...

Did you make one of my recipes? Tag @toriavey on Instagram or Twitter… I want to see!

facebook instagram pinterest twitter

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recipe Rating

Please Note: We typically moderate comments once per month, so please don't expect a quick response. If you'd like more direct access to me and my team, consider joining my exclusive culinary community. You'll get access to member's only recipes and videos, prompt and cheerful cooking support, a private social community of passionate home cooks, and an ad-free experience on my site! Learn more here.

I encourage you to read through the entire post and comments section carefully before asking a question, as it has very likely already been answered. Read the comment policy.

Comments

1. Jen says

5 stars
    I made this for my Celiac niece, who I found out after the fact, doesn’t like coconut…her loss, my gain! I used the standard 2 pack aluminum pie plate package for this recipe & it turned out great in spite of my philosophy that recipes are simply a organized list of suggestions vs instructions. Here are my observations on failing to destroy this wondrous recipe. Due to the thinness of the aluminum pan the crust started browning up early so the total oven time was about 45 minutes. Placing the pie plates on a cookie sheet may make a difference here and adds support when pouring the custard. Since, my package of unsweetened coconut from WF’s was 1/4 cup short of the amount called for, I made up the difference with the sweet, flaky stuff. For the custard, I used a can of TJ’s whole coconut milk which is also extra thick & coconutty AND the whole 28oz can of pumpkin purée. Since I only had medium eggs, I upped the egg ratio by 2. In spite of all this, the recipe still worked until my husband asked me why the oven door was open…after he closed it… and now I am thankful for crack covering whipped cream.

2. Natalie says

Tried for Thanksgiving – the taste the was really good, but with my oven, I think it would have been better to skip the 2nd crust baking step, and the boiling of the custard prior to filling the pie

3. Rebecca says

4 stars
    Hi Tori!
    I made the pie yesterday for Thanksgiving here in Israel. I was looking for a pie without butter because of the turkey dinner.
    The pie was amazing!
    As one of my guests put it “A perfect synergy with the coconut crust and the pumpkin filling” and another guest “Bursting with flavor!”.
    The only substitutions I made were using fresh pumpkin (drained through a cheesecloth to get out moisture after baking) and 1 cup of cane sugar instead of the two half cups of white and brown.
    My husband says he sees more of this pie in our future.

Thank you so much for contributing to my first Thanksgiving in Israel and married (:

4. Rebecca says

5 stars
    Happy Thanksgiving! I just finished making the pie & kept aside a little sample of the custard — amazing!! So I’m now getting my son down for a nap before dinner & thought I’d post a question for later. What is the reasoning behind the pre-cooking of the custard? Is it essential? With a 16 month old running around the kitchen I’m always trying to be as expedient as I can. Thanks again! I can hardly wait to share & eat this pie.

• Tori Avey says

Hi Rebecca, cooking the custard helps to thicken it and starts the cooking process before it is poured into the shell. This macaroon “crust” cooks quickly and can burn if you leave it in the oven too long; thickening the custard before pouring it into the shell helps to speed the baking process.

5. doctor's girl says

I’m just wondering how far in advance I could make this. Would it be okay to make today (Tuesday) for Thursday?

6. Tina says

I subscribed to the weekly newsletter. Dying to see what other recipoes you come up with. 🙂 GF baking especially is such a challenge. I just auditioned for masterchef and brought gf eclairs. What an adventure it was to get those right. I know the work involved in creating delicous gf dishes. Thanks for your hard work.

• Mindy says

Tina, Would you be willing to share your eclair recipe? That’s one of my favorites and being gluten free has meant no eclairs.
      Thanks!

7. Lucy says

OMG I am so making this for Thanksgiving! I was just searching for a coconut pumpkin dessert and am glad I ended up here! Would you mind if I featured this recipe on my blog? I would love to have it on there!

• Tori Avey says

Lucy, I’m glad you like the recipe! I would be happy if you share the recipe with your readers, however I would prefer if you link back to my site and lead your readers to my recipe rather than reprinting the recipe on your own blog (unless you’ve made a significant/major adaptation). I would do the same for you if I found a recipe on your blog that I liked. Enjoy the pie!

8. Tina says

Thank you for posting this recipe. I was diagnosed with celiac and other food allergies 7 months ago. I was thinking I’d have to miss out on my favorite pie at Thanksgiving. Happy there are other alternatives. I baked this pie last night. It wasn’t bad. For me the crust really didn’t taste crust like. I noticed from viewing your photos though that your coconut looked like it was shreeded a lto finer than the one I bought. Maybe I will try running it through the food processor first next time. I also had some difficulty keeping the edges from getting too dark even though I kept them covered with foil. Also noticed once again from your photos that you kept your crust pretty tucked in and mine was spread out more. Having the photos is super helpful. Thanks for providing a recipe for all us people out here with food allergies.

• Tina says

Yes, Tori that makes sense that it is not meant to be like pie crust. It definetley is not anything like a normal pie crust. I am going to try another crust recipe and use your filling recipe. I found one that uses coconut, toasted pecan and a little gluten free flour. Might be more crust like and not so sweet for me. If that doesn’t work I will use your recipe because it was not bad at all just not what I was looking for. Maybe I might decrease the amount of suagr in the filling to counter act the sweetness of the crust. My husband really liked it. Thanks again for posting the recipe and thinking outside the gluten box.

• Tina says

Doh-I was re reading the recipe and realized my coconut was sweetened. Mystery solved! No wonder it was too sweet and browned too much while baking. I bet using unsweetned will help a lot. Sometimes I think my brain isn’t attached!

• Tori Avey says

Hi Bridget, that’s an excellent question. I’m not sure if the pumpkin custard will freeze well because I’ve never tried it before. If you test it out can you please let us know the results? I’m so happy your daughter enjoyed it!

9. Marry says

Thank you for your speedy reply. Yes, please e mail me the gingersnap recipe-I like the sound of the ginger/pumpkin combo. Does this pumpkin pie filling taste a lot like coconut? Thanks again. (I’m cooking my 1rst Thanksgiving dinner ala Shiksa recipes).

• Tori Avey says

Hi Marry, the pumpkin filling is not overly coconut-ish, it’s really yummy. Here is the gingersnap crust recipe, but I really do prefer this new coconut crust– the gingersnap crust was somewhat crumbly. Still good, but this new coconut one is better. 🙂

Ingredients

10 oz. dairy-free gingersnaps (use GF gingersnaps for a gluten free crust)
      2 tbsp brown sugar
      1/4 tsp salt
      5 tbsp melted non-hydrogenated margarine

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Pulse gingersnaps together in the food processor until they crumble. Add brown sugar, salt, and melted margarine. Process for 30 seconds, scrape the sides. Process again for 15-30 seconds longer until the crumbs are evenly moistened and clumping together. Pour mixture into a deep 9 inch pie plate or dish, then pat the mixture firmly and evenly onto the bottom and sides. Bake pie shell for 10 minutes till partially baked. Remove from oven and re-seal any cracks that have formed by pressing the crust together gently with your fingertips. Cool to room temperature before filling.

10. Marry says

Hi Tori, The link to your Pumpkin Pie with Gingersnap Crust is linking to Coconut Macaroon Pumpkin Pie. Oh no! Hope you can fix it, thanks, Marry

• Tori Avey says

Hi Marry, I replaced the gingersnap crust recipe with this one because I feel this is a much better and more reliable recipe. The gingersnap crust was one of the first recipes I put on the site, and I wasn’t totally happy with it. The filling in this pie is basically the same, just the crust is different. If you still want the other recipe let me know and I can email it to you. 🙂

11. Kristin says

5 stars
    This pie is delicious. Just made a ‘test’ pie for the family to try before Thanksgiving and half the pie was gone within a half hour. Thank you for this great recipe.

• Tori Avey says

Hi Sharon, I have only tested this crust with this recipe, but I’m sure it would work for any similar custard-like pie. It would also work for chilled custard pies once it’s fully baked. I don’t foresee any issues with making it a day ahead, but I would suggest bringing it down to room temperature before baking the custard in it. Enjoy!

12. Tasha says

Tori – I have looked high and low for potato starch. Are there any substitutes, such as corn starch? I can find potato flour, but not starch.

13. Barbara says

Love your recipes! I follow Wheat Belly and do not use potato starch. Will konjac flour do? Xanthan gum? Any suggestions?

• Tori Avey says

Hi Barbara, cornstarch is the only sub I feel comfortable recommending. Other subs may work, but I haven’t tested them so I couldn’t give you the proper amounts needed.

14. Melissa says

I love this idea but is this not something that could be baked in a water bath? I just worry about burning the custard…..

• Tori Avey says

Hi Melissa, you certainly could bake it in a water bath, though I’m not sure it’s necessary. I tested this recipe multiple times and never had an issue with burning the custard.

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
​​