This Mediterranean 7 Layer Dip is a healthy twist on traditional Tex Mex seven layer dip. Layered hummus, Greek yogurt, Greek olives, feta cheese and more create a luscious dip to serve with pita chips or crudités.
This recipe combines some of my very favorite mezze into seven layers of deliciousness. Hummus, labaneh or Greek yogurt, Israeli salad, Greek olives, and tahini sauce are topped off by crumbled feta and chopped fresh herbs. Use baked pita chips for dipping, or your favorite chips or fresh vegetables. The flavor is fresh, light and creamy.
Make sure you use a good quality hummus. I recommend making your own, or at the very least visiting your local falafel joint to purchase some creamy, quality hummus. The store bought kind doesn’t usually cut it in terms of flavor. Of course if you have a favorite brand feel free to use it.
Labaneh can be purchased at pretty much any Middle Eastern market, or you can make your own. I don’t usually single out brands, but if you happen to come across Tnuva labaneh from Israel, buy a whole cart full because it’s the most delicious thing ever. Greek yogurt makes a fine substitute; labaneh is just a bit creamier and more luscious.
Additionally, I suggest you buy a block of feta cheese rather than the pre-crumbled variety. Generally the blocks taste creamier.
This dip is gluten free on its own, so you can serve it with gluten free crackers or vegetables if you want to keep it gluten free.
Take this to your New Years party and prepare to be the most popular person in the room. You’re welcome!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Salad Layer Ingredients
- 4 Persian cucumbers, seeded and diced small
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and diced small
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups hummus (see recipe in notes, or use a high-quality prepared one)
- 1 1/2 cups labneh (strained yogurt cheese- thick, not liquid) (or Greek yogurt, or a combination of the two)
- 1 cup pitted green greek olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup tahini (see recipe in notes)
- 4 oz crumbled feta (block feta preferred rather than pre-crumbled)
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley or basil, roughly chopped
- To make salad layer, combine diced cucumbers, tomatoes, parsley and salt in a small mixing bowl. Toss to combine, then transfer to a colander and allow the excess liquid to drain while you prepare the other ingredients (slicing, chopping, etc.). Let the salad stand and drain for at least 30 minutes.
- When the salad is fully drained, spread the 3 cups of hummus evenly into the bottom of your serving dish.
- Next, evenly spread the labneh or Greek yogurt over the top of the hummus.
- Stir the cucumber salad in the colander to make sure all liquid is thoroughly drained.
- Pile your drained salad mixture on top of the labneh/Greek yogurt.
- Then layer on the sliced olives.
- Drizzle with the tahini.
- Sprinkle with the feta.
- And finally, just before serving, sprinkle on your fresh lemon juice and chopped parsley or basil. This dip is great with pita chips!