Smoky Lentil Sweet Potato Soup Recipe – Hearty, Flavorful Vegan Soup with Red Lentils, Yam Chunks, and Spices.
Lentils may be popular now, but that wasn’t always the case. During Classical times wealthy Greeks turned their nose up at lentils, deeming them a “poor man’s food.” Hippocrates, always ahead of his time, recognized their many health benefits and prescribed lentils to his patients that suffered from liver ailments. We now know that the high amounts of choline found in lentils help to improve liver function by aiding in filtering toxins from out of the bloodstream. Though lentils have been a food staple in the Middle East and Mediterranean for centuries, they didn’t really catch on in the U.S. until World War II, when they became a popular meat substitute during wartime rationing.
Lentils make a filling meat substitute in many dishes. If you’re suspicious, my Vegan Lentil Cauliflower Tacos will probably convince you. They are fantastic in this Smoky Lentil Sweet Potato Soup, which is hearty enough to serve as an entree. It’s naturally vegan, though if you don’t mind dairy I suggest topping it with a spoonful of Greek yogurt or labaneh. Yum!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Beauty shots and styling by Bethany Nauert.
Smoky Lentil Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 whole large onion diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups dry red lentils
- 2 1/2 cups sweet potatoes peeled and diced (about 1 large or 2-3 small sweet potatoes)
- Lemon wedges (optional garnish)
- Parsley (optional garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in the bottom of a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add the diced onions and salt and cook until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the spices and cook until fragrant.
- Add the stock, water, lentils and diced sweet potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover, leaving a small portion of the pot vented.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender. You can leave the soup chunky, or use an immersion blender for a smoother puree-like texture. Serve hot, garnished with lemon and parsley if desired. If you're not avoiding dairy, this soup is also fantastic served with a dollop of Greek yogurt or labaneh.
tried this recipe?
Let us know in the comments!
Other Great Recipe Ideas