When I was in Israel last year, I had dinner with my friend Gila. She served me a beverage of blended seedless watermelon. Instead of juicing the watermelon, she threw whole chunks of melon into the blender and whirled them up into a refreshing beverage. It was so cool, naturally sweet, and delicious– perfect for a hot summer day. Since then I’ve made the drink many times, experimenting by adding different ingredients to enhance the already yummy beverage. Lime juice and watermelon go really well together, so I like to add some lime juice along with a touch of simple syrup or agave nectar. Depending on the natural sweetness of your watermelon, you may or may not need to add any sweetener. I only add it when the drink needs it. Sometimes I add rum for a kick. You can make the drink with or without alcohol… either way, it’s a tasty beverage. Perfect for summer!
Gluten Free Note: If you’re GF, make sure your rum is certified GF. Most rums are naturally gluten free, but it’s always best to check with the source to make sure.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 3 cups cubed seedless watermelon, well chilled
- 1 1/2 fresh limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup rum (optional)
- Simple syrup or agave nectar, or your favorite sweetener, to taste
- Fresh mint sprigs for garnish
- Put watermelon chunks and lime juice into a blender. Process on high until smooth. Add sweetener to taste, if needed, and blend again.
- Pour drink into two glasses over ice. Garnish with fresh mint. Serve.