About Tori Avey

Thanks for stopping by! I am fascinated by the story behind the food – why we eat what we eat, how the foods of different cultures have evolved, and how yesterday’s food can inspire us in the kitchen today. Read more...

Did you make one of my recipes? Tag @toriavey on Instagram or Twitter… I want to see!

facebook instagram pinterest twitter

Comments

1. Julie says

5 stars
    This is the best soup EVER. I keep making it, discarding my ashkenazi roots for a very flavorful, delicious, satisfying soup.

2. Tziona simchi says

4 stars
    This was delicious
    I made the beef one and also added carrots and was yummy!
    Can I freeze this soup?

3. mohit bajoria says

Thank you so much for posting the recipe for the hawayej spice. This is one spice I’ve been wanting to learn in a long time as we don’t get it in my country. Can you give me a recipe of some guidelines on doing a vegetarian version of this soup. Would really appreciate. Thanks

4. Soonee says

Tori, thank you for all you do.
    I really appreciate you providing us with the delicious Yemenite recipes, and recipes for the spice combinations. These are delicious meals and brings back great memories. Much love.
    ????‍♀️

5. Eileen says

The first time a made this I did not cover the pot at any time.It was very tasty, but the broth had simmered down .
    The second time I made this I did cover the pot during the whole cooking time and added some extra water. It was not as tasty
    So am I correct in thinking that leaving the lid off is the way to cook it. Any suggestion to get more liquid with flavor
    Thanks
    I like your recipe for the chicken Yemenite soup very much ,it’s so easy

• Tori Avey says

Hi Eileen, you are correct it is supposed to cook uncovered. I always mention in a recipe if it needs to be covered with a lid. If you need more liquid than you would get after cooking it down, you can add a few more dark chicken pieces and up the amount of spices, then add some extra water before cooking. I would still recommend cooking it uncovered though. Good luck!

6. Shoshana Katz says

Hi Adina,

Thanks for the recipe. I am going to make it for the first time for a Yemenite friend who is coming to visit. I have my hawaijj in the fridge for about half a year. Do you think it is still good or need I buy a fresh one? Thanks in advance

• Tori Avey says

Love that you read through the comments and found my Hebrew name. 🙂 Your hawayej spice blend should be just fine. I don’t keep mine in the refrigerator and the flavor is still good for 1-2 years. After that it will lose some flavor slowly over time, but still usable. I do try to replace old spices and blends every 2 years (I date the bottles) and herbs every 1-2 years.

7. Marina says

5 stars
    Tori, thanks so much for the recipe! My husband is Yaman from Israel and he loved it! Made the beef version several times. Now his friends came over from Israel so I’m making it again. Super delish! Thanks again!

8. Iggy luria says

5 stars
    Just made the yemenite chicken soup and it came out very nice. I took it mild on the spices but still the flavor is strong. My little community appreciates you sharing these consise instructions plus a little bit of the very spirit of the yemenite community;) le haim.
    Iggy

9. Dan says

Hi love your recipes. Is there a way to modify for a crackpot version.
    Would love to set up to cook before shabbat to then have on a cold winter shabbat day.
    Thanks

• Ashley at ToriAvey.com says

Hi Dan, Tori’s assistant Ashley here. Currently we have not developed a version of this recipe for the crock pot.

10. Andrew Miller says

Hi Tori,

I am really itching to try this! I know the Jewish deli in our podunk Midwest town has it every now and then!

One thing I caught: the chicken ingredients call for 4-5 drumsticks and the method says 2 breasts.

Thank you for your work!

• Ashley at ToriAvey.com says

Hi Andrew, Tori’s assistant here. The recipe calls for a whole chicken and the additional drumsticks, so the breasts you’re seeing in the method are taken from the whole chicken. Hope this helps!

11. Summer says

This soup looks very delicious 🙂 Also, I would like to mention that these flavors are common to all Yemenis, not just Yemeni Jews. (And I think it’s important to remember that cuisine is typically a cultural aspect of a people, not a religious one.) You can also find hawa’ij spices at a Middle Eastern market. Depending on the pronunciation in Arabic (which varies from one Yemeni family to another), hilbeh can also be spelled as hulbah/hulba and the spicy salsa is more commonly known as sahaawiq or sahaawig.

12. Juan Rodriguez says

Hi Tori Avey
    Can you please tell me the brands name of the ground Turmeric powder ( yellow color) used as the Yemenite soup recipe.
    The ground Turmeric at my market store is orange in color; that why?…
    Also I want to make yellow Falafel.
    Thanks,
    J. Rodriguez

• Tori Avey says

Hi Juan, there are many brands. I currently use my own line of spices, which I will be launching soon. Turmeric does appear to be an orange-yellow color in the bottle, but when added to dishes (like this soup) it colors them yellow. Hope that helps!

13. abe says

5 stars
    love it and the aroma ,im teymani tahts how my mom used to make , try hilbe with this soup.

14. elisheva says

5 stars
    I am so excited to have found this blog! I just returned from a quick visit in Israel and am already running low on my uncle’s shlug and missing his cooking, especially this soup! Thank you for sharing

15. tamara says

about to try your recipe! thanks for step-by-step 🙂
    was wondering what makes it spicy? those spices do not usually have a kick.
    any suggestions?

• Tori Avey says

In this context, spicy does not relate to heat level/kick but rather the sheer potency of the spice flavors. Hope that makes sense. It has layers and layers of spice in it, but it doesn’t have a “bite” like chili peppers do.

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
​​