I used this frosting to top the cupcakes in my Hanukkah Cupcake Menorah project. Making frosting from scratch is easier than you might think! If you carefully follow the instructions below, you will end up with a luscious frosting that tastes so much better than the stuff you buy at the store. Yum!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2-3 tsp coconut extract
- 1-2 tbsp water
- Pinch salt
- Sift the powdered sugar and salt into a bowl.
- Cut the butter into cubes (make sure it's room temperature!) and add it to the sugar and salt.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar together for 3-4 minutes till it creams together. At first, it will look crumbly and grainy. Continue mixing, using a spatula to push out any butter that gathers in the beaters, till the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Pour in 2 tsp of coconut extract and mix again. Taste the frosting and add more extract to taste, if desired.
- Add one teaspoon of water at a time, whipping constantly, till frosting reaches the thickness and texture you desire. You will likely need very little water to achieve the consistency you need.
- Use frosting for spreading or piping onto room temperature baked goods. This frosting tastes best at room temperature. Frosting will keep for up to five days without refrigeration; to extend shelf like, refrigeration is recommended.