Green Bean Beet and Pistachio Salad –
Flavorful and Festive Vegan Side Dish Recipe
I was putting together my Rosh Hashanah menu last week and realized that I’m bored with the same old side dishes we always serve. I mean, certain dishes are expected, of course– family favorites that have become obligatory over the years (like matzo ball soup, which my family expects on pretty much every Jewish holiday now even though it’s a Passover thing). In addition to these holiday favorites, I wanted to venture into some new side dish concepts and liven things up a bit. In my home beets are always a crowd-pleaser, so I decided to combine them with green beans, toasted pistachios and some festive flavors to create a new salad.
Beets are an important part of the Jewish diet. They’re mentioned in Yiddish literature dating back to the Middle Ages. For centuries Ashkenazi Jews have used beets to make borscht, a bright red sweet-and-sour soup, as well as pickles, ground horseradish and preserves. Moroccan Sephardic Jews enjoy them in salads and mezze. To show delight in the Sabbath, the Talmud suggests consuming beet greens. Beets even play a part in the Rosh Hashanah blessing, which makes them particularly appropriate at this time of year.
Here I’ve combined roasted beet wedges with young green beans, olive oil, dill and toasted pistachios. A thin drizzle of date honey adds a touch of sweetness for a sweet new year. The salty/sweet combination makes for a really tasty and festive salad. It also looks really pretty on the table. Enjoy!
Affiliate links help to support my website and the free recipe content I provide. A percentage of any purchase you make via these links will go towards buying ingredients, photography supplies and server space, as well as all the other expenses involved in running a large cooking website. Thank you very much for browsing!
- 1 lb. young green beans, trimmed
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped dill
- 1 lb. roasted peeled beets (about 1 1/2 lbs. fresh beets before roasting), cut into bite-sized wedges - learn how to roast them here
- 1 tbsp date honey syrup - click here for recipe
- In a mixing bowl, toss the green beans with the olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Pour the olive oil-coated seasoned green beans into the skillet and sauté for 6-8 minutes, or until just tender. If the green beans are browning faster than they're cooking, cover the skillet and reduce heat to medium, then let them cook until they become tender. Remove from heat and let the beans return to room temperature.
- Toast the pistachios in a small skillet over medium heat until lightly toasted and fragrant.
- Toss cooked green beans with the pistachios and 1 1/2 tbsp fresh dill, then transfer to your serving dish.
- Sprinkle the beetroot wedges lightly with salt and then arrange them amongst the green beans. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 tbsp dill over the top of the salad.
- Drizzle the top of the salad with 1 tbsp date honey syrup. Serve at room temperature.