Note: I have revisited this recipe from my archives and updated it with new photos and an improved recipe. Enjoy!
I developed this egg salad recipe for my husband, who asked me to create a lighter version of deli-style egg salad. First, I eliminated half of the egg yolks and cut down on the mayo to reduce calories and cholesterol. To make up for the flavor and richness of the yolks, I added fresh dill as well as dill pickles for saltiness and crunch. Instead of regular mustard I used whole grain Dijon, which I absolutely love. The result is something my husband enjoys on a regular basis. It makes a great sandwich; try serving it on whole grain toast, sourdough, rye or pumpernickel bread. Or, if you’re watching your waistline, you can add a scoop on top of your favorite green salad.
Try subbing regular mustard for a different flavor. To reduce cholesterol even further, you can use Vegannaise instead of mayo. This salad can be made gluten free with a certified GF mustard and mayonnaise. Enjoy!
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 6 hard boiled egg whites
- 1 1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp whole grain Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp fresh minced dill
- 1 large dill pickles, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the hard boiled eggs into small pieces.
- Place the hard boiled eggs in a salad bowl. Add mayonnaise, mustard, fresh dill, and dill pickles to the bowl.
- Mix gently with a spoon till combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Serve in a sandwich or scoop on salad.