Cucumber Raita – A simple recipe for cucumber raita, a creamy and cooling Indian condiment. This recipe uses Greek yogurt for a thick and creamy result.
Raita is a traditional Indian salad that is most commonly used as a condiment. It is made with yogurt and a combination of other ingredients including cucumber, eggplant, beets, chickpeas, spinach and sometimes even fruit. The cucumber version, which is most popular, is quite similar to tzatziki, a Greek yogurt sauce. The big difference between the two condiments is spices and sweetness; raita is usually spiced and often lightly sweetened by honey or fruit. The flavor is delicate, not overwhelming– cooling, creamy and a wonderful addition to spicy foods. The spices and herbs vary but most often they include mint, dill, parsley, coriander and cumin. Here I’m sharing a cucumber raita recipe; I make it with Greek (strained) yogurt to give it a thicker and more creamy texture. Raita is especially tasty when served with curry dishes, as it helps to offset the heat.
Tomorrow I’ll be sharing a super yummy curry dish that goes perfectly with this raita!
Tip: for a thicker raita, you may strain the Greek yogurt using the method outlined in this post before making the recipe.
Affiliate links help to support my website and the free recipe content I provide. A percentage of any purchase you make via these links will go towards buying ingredients, photography supplies and server space, as well as all the other expenses involved in running a large cooking website. Thank you very much for browsing!
- 1 large Persian cucumber, grated
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- Pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes
- Pinch of salt (or more to taste)
You will also need:
- Cheese grater with large holes, small mixing bowl
- Grate the cucumber using using a cheese grater with large holes. Squeeze the grated cucumber in a cheesecloth or in a mesh strainer to remove excess liquid.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the grated cucumber with the rest of the ingredients and stir until well combined. Add more salt if desired. Chill and serve.