Add a sweet ginger essence to cocktails, mocktails and other beverages with this Ginger Agave Simple Syrup. This amber-colored sweet syrup is made with low glycemic agave syrup and infused with fresh ginger for a warm, lightly spiced essence.
Some cocktails and mocktails are greatly enhanced when a hint of sweet ginger is added to the mix. By slowly simmering fresh ginger with water and agave, a luscious sweet syrup results. I like to keep this on hand for all kinds of beverages, including hot tea and smoothies. The hint of ginger is lovely, especially in autumn when cooler weather comes around. It’s a warm, satisfying flavor.
Ginger Agave Simple Syrup
- 2 1/2 ounces ginger root, roughly a 3-inch knob of ginger
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup agave nectar
- Peel the ginger root and slice it into small pieces.
- Combine ginger root pieces, water and agave in a small saucepan. Bring liquid and ginger to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer.
- Let the ginger cook for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until ginger pieces have softened and the liquid has reduced by a little more than half. When it's ready the liquid should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour the syrup through a mesh strainer, separating out the ginger pieces.
- The strained syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for several weeks. The ginger pieces can also be stored in the refrigerator; they are lovely to snack on, or you can add them to hot tea or smoothies.
Leave a Reply