These uniquely delicious Tapenade Turkey Burgers are moist, juicy, and full of flavor. This delicious Mediterranean-inspired recipe adds a whole new dimension to turkey burgers. A simple Provençal tapenade provides juicy texture and salty, briny flavor to the mix. Of course, you can make them with ground chicken, too. Versatile, healthy, and quick to prepare, these turkey burgers are perfect for a weeknight, or anytime!
Olives just might be the most crucial ingredient in all of Mediterranean cooking. The wood, the oil, and the fruit all play an important role in regional Mediterranean cuisine. It’s no wonder that tapenade, a paste-like condiment made with olives, became a fixture on the French Provençal table. In this part of France tapenade is used to top vegetables or bread, as well as alongside fish and meat. I often make a quick batch to keep on hand for snacking. Consequently, one afternoon, the idea struck – why not use tapenade to create turkey burgers that are moist and flavorful? These Tapenade Turkey Burgers are the delicious result.
Turkey burgers typically have a reputation for being bland, dry, and a “diet” alternative to beef burgers. However, anyone who has tried my Mediterranean Turkey Burger recipe knows that they can be full of flavor and moisture. Likewise, adding olive tapenade to the mix makes these Tapenade Turkey Burgers moist, juicy, and so delicious.
We spend a lot of time grilling in the summer, and I’m really excited to add another tasty option to our repertoire. These burgers are even better made ahead. Keeping the patties in the fridge for one hour, up to overnight, allows the flavors to marinate. In addition, a quick chill makes the patties easier to handle on the stovetop or grill. I like serving these moist Tapenade Turkey Burgers on a whole wheat bun with lettuce and sweet, ripe tomato slices. Bon appétit!
Tapenade Turkey Burgers
- 2.5 ounces pitted Castelvetrano olives (about 14 olives) drained and rinsed
- 1 ounce pitted Kalamata olives (about 8 olives) drained and rinsed
- 3/4 teaspoon capers drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Turkey Burger Ingredients
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (for greasing the pan)
To Make Easy Tapenade
- In the work bowl of a small food processor, add all ingredients. Pulse until ingredients form a rough paste. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use. Note – if you have special dietary considerations, you may adjust the fat and sodium content of this recipe by adding less of the tapenade to the mix.
To Make Tapenade Turkey Burgers
- In a medium bowl combine ground turkey, tapenade, egg, oregano, smoked paprika, and onion powder. Mix gently to combine, then divide the mixture into 4 even portions. Shape each into a patty, transfer to a tray, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour, up to overnight. This chill time is optional but recommended; it will help the flavors marinate, and will also make the patties less delicate and easier to handle when cooking.These turkey burgers are easiest to cook on a nonstick skillet or grill pan on the stovetop (see Notes section for grilling instructions). Heat a nonstick skillet or grill pan over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and swirl or brush to coat pan evenly. Place the patties gently in the pan.
- Cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes, flipping every 3 minutes to promote even browning. If needed, add additional olive oil a teaspoon at a time to prevent sticking. Patties are done when they are browned well on both sides and reach an internal temperature of 165⁰F.
- Transfer patties to a serving platter and let rest for 3 minutes before serving. Serve with whole wheat buns, leaf lettuce, ripe sweet tomatoes, and sliced onion.
Leave a Reply