I’m always looking for new ways to serve roasted bell peppers. Their sweet and smoky flavor adds a new dimension to a variety of salads, side dishes and entrees. In this recipe, I’ve combined a roasted red pepper with steamed green beans, rice wine vinegar, olive oil and whole grain mustard. The rice wine vinegar has a mellow, light flavor making it perfect for a springtime dressing. When combined with olive oil and whole grain mustard, the flavor and aroma are very enticing. I find this simple vegan salad totally addicting, and it’s so easy to put together.
While any green beans will work in this recipe, smaller, younger beans will be more tender and delicate. You can use jarred roasted bell peppers to save time, or roast one yourself to save money using your gas stovetop or the oven. It’s easy! Read my blog how to roast bell peppers if you’re unfamiliar with the process.
Note: This recipe has been updated and rephotographed from my site archives.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- 1 lb green beans, washed, trimmed, and cut into 2-inch pieces (if using young small beans, you can leave them whole after trimming)
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1/2 tsp pepper (or more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 2 tbsp fresh minced parsley
- Put 1 cup of water in a saucepan with the green bean pieces. Boil water and reduce heat to medium. Cover the pot and steam the green beans for 12-15 minutes until tender-crisp (smaller, younger beans may cook more quickly).
- Meanwhile, dice the roasted bell pepper flesh into small pieces.
- Drain the beans in a colander and run cold water over them to cool them down to room temperature. Shake them dry.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, pepper, salt, and parsley in a small bowl.
- Place the steamed green beans and diced roasted bell pepper in a salad bowl and pour dressing over them.
- Toss all ingredients gently until the beans and peppers are fully coated with the dressing.
- Let the salad marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes. Serve at room temperature.
Other Great Recipe Ideas
Simply Recipes – Green Bean Salad with Basil, Balsamic and Parmesan
Weelicious – “Fried” Green Beans with Honey Mustard Dip
Sippity Sup – Roasted Green Beans and Scallions
Leite’s Culinaria – Green Bean, Tomato, Potato Salad with Almond-Basil Pesto