This delicious recipe for Lemony Marinated Chicken Skewers features an irresistible blend of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern flavors. Chicken is quickly marinated with a vibrant burst of lemon, garlic, herbs and spices. It’s the perfect recipe for grilling and summer cookouts.
Here in Southern California we love to grill. Hot summer days seem made for for cooking and eating outdoors. During the warmer months we love grilling for our family and friends. I make salads, prepare various chilled mezze, and blend batches of icy limonana to keep everybody cool in the hot summer sun.
Nearly every time we grill, I serve some version of this lemony marinade. It’s a perfect combination of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern flavors – lemon, herbs, spices, and garlic. Sometimes I add a little more cayenne for a kick, other times I use more lemon for tartness. No matter which little tweaks I make, the chicken always turns out tender and tasty. Use chicken thighs for a juicier, more flavorful result.
I recommend serving these skewers with toum, a tasty Middle Eastern garlic dipping sauce. This is truly one of my favorite summer grilling marinades. I know you will love it!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs I prefer thighs
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tbsp fresh minced cilantro or parsley I prefer cilantro
- 2 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Cut the chicken into 1 ½ inch strips for skewering. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, cilantro or parsley, crushed garlic, paprika, salt, cumin, turmeric and cayenne pepper. Place the chicken pieces in a glass dish. Pour the marinade over the chicken and stir to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator and let the chicken marinate for 20 minutes. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water while the chicken is marinating.
- Generously grease the grill and heat over medium. Skewer the chicken, evenly divided between 6-8 skewers.
- Place the skewers on the hot grill and cook for 10-15 minutes, turning once during cooking, until cooked through. Serve hot.