Recently my stepdaughter has developed a fondness for roasted potatoes. She is a super picky eater, so whenever she begins to like something new, I celebrate. The roasted potato concept is super simple– cut small potatoes into wedges, toss them with olive oil and spices, and roast them on a baking sheet. In the past I’ve used rosemary, oregano and other herbs to give the potatoes flavor. Last week I tried using smoked paprika and fresh garlic with awesome results. The potatoes turned out sweet, salty, and smoky. Totally delish. It’s a quick and easy recipe, perfect for a weeknight side dish or Sunday brunch. It’s also vegan and gluten free. Score!
If you can’t find smoked paprika, this recipe will also work well with regular paprika (not cayenne, which is really spicy– though you can add a dash of cayenne to the mix for a bit of a kick). I like using a Ziploc to toss the potatoes, it makes for even dispersion of the spices and easy cleanup. Enjoy!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 lbs red potatoes
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced very fine
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Nonstick cooking oil spray (or a little more olive oil), for greasing the baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Scrub the potatoes clean, do not peel. Slice into 1- to 1 1/2-inch wedges.
- Place the wedges into a gallon-sized plastic zipper bag with olive oil. Close the bag and toss the potatoes well. Work the potato wedges with your fingers for a minute or two so that all the potato pieces are lightly coated with oil.
- Open the bag and sprinkle in the spices and garlic. Close the bag again. Shake the bag and massage the potato wedges again for a minute or two so that all the pieces are evenly coated with seasoning.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking oil spray, or lightly brush with more olive oil. Spread the potatoes out in an even layer onto the sheet, making sure that the flat surfaces touch the sheet. This will help the potatoes get crisp.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven and let the potatoes roast for about 25 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking, till the wedges are cooked through. They should be crisp on the outside, fluffy and soft inside. Season with additional salt to taste, if desired. Serve hot.
More Great Recipes
Simply Recipes – Spanish Roasted Potatoes with Tomato Sauce
Recipe Girl – Lemon-Chive Roasted Vegetables
Cookin’ Canuck – Sweet Potato and Endive Hash with Sriracha Buttermilk Sauce
Our Best Bites – Spicy Roasted Chickpeas