These curry roasted sweet potatoes are so easy to make, with a complex crave-worthy flavor that is almost addicting. All you need to do is toss peeled, chopped sweet potatoes with heart-healthy olive oil, curry powder spice blend, cinnamon, and sea salt. Additionally, I’ve provided a roasting tip that results in perfectly cooked, tender yet lightly crisp potatoes. These curry potatoes turn out perfectly caramelized every time. What a treat!
You know I love to cook. But like everybody seems to be these days, I’m really busy! And I have a growing appreciation for easy recipes that can be thrown together in a minute or two, but taste like something much more complex.
Case in point – these curry roasted sweet potatoes. They’re the perfect solution when you’re looking for a simple side dish. I just adore the combination of sweet roasted orange potatoes (aka yams), extra virgin olive oil, curry powder, and cinnamon. A sprinkle of sea salt provides a perfect contrast for the sweetly spiced flavor.
When people think of curry powder, they tend to imagine thick creamy concoctions with coconut milk broth– dishes that range from mild to very spicy. I love those types of curries, but curry powder spice is much more versatile. It can be used in a variety of ways. Using it on roasted potatoes is just one of many ways to utilize this delicious spice blend!
These curry roasted sweet potatoes taste best when they are well-roasted… tender inside, lightly crisp outside. The trick is getting your roasting pan nice and hot before adding the potatoes. That quick burst of heat helps to caramelize the potatoes, bringing out the best of their naturally sweet, robust flavor. When combined with a light sprinkling of curry powder, they are absolutely addicting. Let’s just say these never make it very far from the pan.
I’m all for exciting, tasty recipes that take us out of our comfort zone. But sometimes, all you need is a touch of curry powder to make the ordinary into something extraordinary. On a weeknight, there is nothing better than being able to cook something quick, easy, healthy, and delicious. These curry roasted sweet potatoes fit the bill. Enjoy!
Curry Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (yams), peeled and cut into 1 1/2-2 inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 3/4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
- Place baking sheet into the oven and preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place all ingredients into a large bowl and toss to combine, making sure all the potatoes are lightly covered with oil and seasonings.
- Use hot pads to carefully remove the heated baking sheet from the oven. Spread the potatoes out onto the tray in an even layer, making sure all potatoes are touching the surface of the tray. Careful not to burn your hands on the tray!
- Place tray back into the oven and let the potatoes roast for 20 minutes. Stir the vegetables and continue to roast for 10-20 more minutes or until they are tender inside and browned/crisp on the outside. Serve warm.
tried this recipe?
Let us know in the comments!
Other Great Recipe Ideas