Roasted Carrots with Dill – Roasted whole carrots with olive oil, kosher salt, pepper and fresh dill. Who knew something so simple could taste so amazing?
In recent years, as farmers and gardeners have worked to revitalize heirloom vegetables, it’s not uncommon to see carrots in shades of yellow, white and even purple. At one time, the orange color we associate with carrots didn’t even exist. Some historians believe that during the 17th century, the Dutch cultivated the orange carrot as way of honoring William of Orange, who led the Dutch revolt against Spain. Years later, when the Dutch Patriot movement rebelled against the House of Orange, the carrot was seen as an offensive homage to the monarchy. The orange color, a result of crossing a number of different varieties and colors of carrots, comes from carotene. A diet heavy in carrots can sometimes give the skin a yellowish tint. This harmless condition, known as carotenemia, is a result of these carotene pigments and will go away on its own after a week without carrots.
Roasting carrots has a truly magical effect on their flavor. Kosher salt brings out their natural sweetness and fresh dill is the perfect springtime flavor pairing. This healthy and delicious side dish takes barely any time at all. When the roasted carrots are laid out on a platter it makes for a pretty and rustic presentation. Bonus– they’re kosher for Passover! If you see me turning yellow, never fear. I’m so addicted to these roasted carrots that I might well come down with a case of carotenemia.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Roasted Carrots with Dill
- 2 pounds whole carrots (I prefer young medium-sized carrots with greens still attached)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Clean and remove the tops from the carrots.
- Place the carrots on a greased sheet tray and drizzle with the olive oil. Toss with your hands to make sure they are evenly covered in oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.Roast the carrots for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and turn the carrots with tongs. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp freshly chopped dill and roast for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, place carrots on a platter. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp of fresh dill. Serve immediately.