Roasted Sweet Mini Peppers and Asparagus – Easy, Healthy, Flavorful and Colorful Vegan Side Dish
Do you ever notice those sweet mini peppers in the produce section? You know the ones– small, colorful, enticing. They’re so cute and pretty and perfect looking! But what the heck do you use them for?
Wonder no more! This simple side dish is loaded with flavor and takes just a little time to prepare. Sweet mini peppers and asparagus pieces are roasted alongside one another, then dressed simply with white wine vinegar and whole grain mustard. Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of both the peppers and the asparagus, so they don’t need a lot of dressing up– they’re pretty delicious as-is. This dish can be served warm, at room temperature, or chilled. Add some goat cheese or feta crumbles and put it on top of fresh greens to stretch the ingredients. The cheese takes it to another level of delish. Enjoy!
Roasted Sweet Mini Peppers and Asparagus
- 1 lb asparagus spears 1 bunch
- 10 oz sweet mini peppers 1 dry pint
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp whole grain Dijon mustard if gluten free look for a certified GF brand
- 1 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Nonstick cooking oil spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut the tough ends off the asparagus spears, then slice them into 1-inch pieces.
- Cut the stems off of the mini peppers, cut them in half lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds. Discard the seeds and stems.
- Place the asparagus and peppers into a large mixing bowl with 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Toss the veggies until they are evenly coated with oil.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking oil spray, or lightly brush with olive oil. Spread the vegetables out on the baking sheet, making sure each vegetable piece is touching the sheet to ensure even roasting.
- Place in the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes, until the asparagus is tender and the peppers are soft, collapsing, and blackening in places. Remove from oven. Pour the roasted vegetables back into the mixing bowl and toss with 1 1/2 tsp whole grain Dijon mustard and 1 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar. Add salt to taste.