With Purim coming up soon, I wanted to feature some elegant kosher cocktails with my readers. Since I’m not really a big cocktail drinker myself (I’ve always been more of a wine girl), I asked my friend Ashley for advice. Ashley has a chef for a boyfriend, a buddy who is a mixologist, and an aunt (my dear friend Sharon) who knows a thing or two about cocktails. Together, we worked on creating some homemade flavor infused vodkas and herb infused simple syrups. Then, with input from Ashley’s family and friends, we used these homemade vodkas and syrups to create some fun and unique cocktails. We conducted a series of taste-tests, and after some trial and error we came up with some terrific drink recipes! They’re really tasty. I should know, I had fun testing every single one (and woke up with quite a headache the next day!). We tweaked them till they were just right, and now I’m thrilled to share them with you.
The first on our list is a “Shortcut Mojito.” We named it that because the recipe uses mint-infused simple syrup, which means the drink does not require muddling mint leaves with sugar. All you need to do is combine the ingredients in a shaker, pour over ice, and enjoy! Of course, you’ll need to make some mint infused simple syrup, but that process is beyond easy– and you can make many cocktails from a single batch. To learn how to make mint infused simple syrup or other herb infused syrups, click here. You can garnish with fresh mint leaves (like in the picture) or with a fresh lime wedge to make it pretty.
Every cocktail recipe featured on my site can be made kosher using kosher-certified liquor and bottled beverages. We’ve only used liquors and ingredients that can be easily obtained with a kosher hechsher. For kosher-certified alcohol choices, check out the links below:
For this recipe, I recommend Bacardi white rum, but any kosher-certified white rum will do. I’ve also supplied an alcohol-free “mocktail” variation below for non-drinkers. More drink recipes coming soon! L’chaim!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 ounces mint infused simple syrup (to learn how to make infused simple syrup, click here)
- 1 1/2 ounces white rum
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 ounces club soda
- Fresh mint leaves and/or fresh lime wedge for garnish
- Fill a tall glass with ice. Pour mint infused simple syrup, white rum and lime juice into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously, then strain the cocktail into the glass with ice. Top off with club soda and stir in fresh mint leaves. Garnish with a lime wedge, if desired.
- You can make a tasty and refreshing alcohol-free beverage (aka a "mocktail") by omitting the rum and substituting ginger ale for club soda.