Spring Berry Pistachio Salad with Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette – Fresh Vegan Spinach Salad with Ripe, Sweet Strawberries, Raspberries and Blackberries
Berries play a part in some pretty interesting historical folklore. In Bavaria, an annual tradition involves tying baskets of strawberries to the horns of cattle each spring. The strawberries are an offering to the elves; some Bavarians living in the countryside believe that the elves are very fond of strawberries, and will bless them with healthy new calves and lots of fresh milk in return. Here’s another fun one – blackberry bushes were once thought to protect a home from vampires. The story claims that a vampire would become too distracted with counting all of the berries on a plant to remember his original plan. In ancient Greek folklore Ida, the nursemaid to an infant Zeus, was left with red stained fingers for all eternity after pricking her her fingers on raspberry brambles.
All of these berry tidbits add up to one very tasty Spring Berry Pistachio Salad with a sweet-tart Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette. On its own this salad is full of flavor and naturally vegan, but don’t shy away from experimenting. I’ve topped it with gorgonzola, feta or even sliced marinated chicken breast for a boost of protein…. all tasty options. Enjoy!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Beauty shots and styling by Bethany Nauert.
Spring Berry Pistachio Salad
- 10 oz baby spinach
- 2 cups strawberries rinsed and sliced
- 1 pint blackberries rinsed
- 1 pint raspberries rinsed
- 1/2 cup unsalted pistachios shelled and toasted
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp whole grain dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Gently toss the salad ingredients together. Serve topped with the maple balsamic dressing. If the dressing has separated, simply whisk again to combine.
Other Great Recipe Ideas