About Tori Avey

Thanks for stopping by! I am fascinated by the story behind the food – why we eat what we eat, how the foods of different cultures have evolved, and how yesterday’s food can inspire us in the kitchen today. Read more...

Did you make one of my recipes? Tag @toriavey on Instagram or Twitter… I want to see!

facebook instagram pinterest twitter

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recipe Rating

Please Note: We typically moderate comments once per month, so please don't expect a quick response. If you'd like more direct access to me and my team, consider joining my exclusive culinary community. You'll get access to member's only recipes and videos, prompt and cheerful cooking support, a private social community of passionate home cooks, and an ad-free experience on my site! Learn more here.

I encourage you to read through the entire post and comments section carefully before asking a question, as it has very likely already been answered. Read the comment policy.

Comments

1. Helen Laman says

5 stars
    Dear Tory, Do you have an email address where I can reach you. Today I read about Momo. We lost our Louie dashund October 5 2017. He was twelve and the joy of our lives. I wanted to tell you about him when we took him for his last ride to The University of Pennsylvania ER.
    I wish we were yet young enough to love another little soul, but we are not.
    Let me say that you are an amazing woman.
    Helen Laman Philadelphia

• Tori Avey says

I received your sweet email. So sorry for your loss of Louie! It is so difficult. They love us purely and unconditionally. Louie looks like the sweetest soul, you can see it in his eyes. I take comfort in the thought that Louie and Momo are playing together somewhere in a place where there is only Light. Sending a big hug!

2. Michelle says

5 stars
    Just made this for a glaze on a strawberry cheese cake. I let mine simmer for a while so that I could get a nice thick consistency and it turned out really well! Super simple and tasty.

3. John says

I’m looking to make a strawberry and fennel liquid, would I boil them down separately or together?

• Tori Avey says

Hi Lara– yes, I think you probably could. I’ve never tried it, but this is a simple strawberry syrup recipe and should be good for stirring into a number of beverages.

4. Marylyn Hale says

5 stars
    Made it and love it. Tried some that I did not strain and poured it over vanilla ice cream. Happened to have a banana, so you know where this lead to. It was wonderful and addicting.

5. MComrad says

To add more fresh strawberry flavor to this recipe here’s a great trick – especially if you’ve found cheap strawberries and want to use then all!

I finely slice about half my strawberries before cooking, add about 4:1 ratio of sugar (4 berries to 1 sugar) in a bowl, add a tablespoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of lemon zest.
    I just let it sit, stirring occasionally for about 30-60 minutes while the juice leaves the berries.

I strain this “fresh” juice and add the berries to the pot with all the other berries and then follow the recipe as stated – adjusting for more or less berries.

Then, once done with the cooked and strained berry syrup, I let that cool and add in the “fresh” juice. It makes for a fresher, more “real strawberry” flavor that the cooked syrup alone is missing.

Hope that helps!

6. Aimee kimmet says

Can you eat the syrup right after making it ornis it a set time it has to be in the fridge for xx

7. Mary says

Used this strawberry syrup for an iced strawberry mint green tea for bridal shower party. It was a huge hit.

I must note that the recipe calls for too much sugar. My recommendation is to pour in half the requested sugar, then taste to your preference and go from there.

8. Wanda says

Strawberry cake 1stick of butter 1cup of sugar 4 large eggs 1 cup of self risesing flour one cup and half strawberry syrup one tsp vanilla ,beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy add eggs beat until fluffy add strawberry syrup and vanilla add flower mix on slow just until flower is mixed ,don’t over mix cake will be dry bake in preheated oven at 350 for 35 minutes bake cake in 9×13 pan cool cake ice with cream cheese frosting ,
    If you like chocolate cake use chocolate syrup instead of strawberr syrup it is the best, for chocolate frosting 1 cup of sugar 1can of 12 Fl oz evaporated milk 1stick of butter 2cups of chocolate chips heat milk and sugar and butter until hot stir in chocolate chips cook until chips melt stirring until mixed pour over hot cake .

9. Alma patterson says

Thank you. so much for sharing .i made it and taking with us to travel and for my mother to used whenever she make her ensure milk she can mix in with her drink. It s so good and easy. So .thank you. Respectfully yours .alma patterson✈

10. RLB says

Can this syrup be frozen for use later? Thinking of strawberry tea love that stuff and other foods later in year and summer.

11. Humaa A says

This is a weird question but is there an alternate to sugar? I realize sugar changes its form but I want a healthy alternative such as honey etc.

12. Rocco says

Hi Ms Avery,
    Have you tried this recipe with frozen berries that have been thawed? I have a 5
    Lb bag I would like to use for the syrup.
    Thanks….Rocco

• Ashley at ToriAvey.com says

Hi, Tori’s assistant Ashley here! This recipe is best suited to fresh strawberries, as frozen strawberries tend to become softer, I would be afraid they wouldn’t hold up well.

• Ashley at ToriAvey.com says

Hi Wendy, Tori’s assistant Ashley here! Since this recipe does not have preservatives, I wouldn’t keep it in the refrigerator for longer than 2 days to avoid spoiling.

• Adrienne says

It says that it keeps for weeks, although it won’t last that long in the paragraphs before the recipe.

• Lee says

I made this recipe delicious and it kept well for almost two weeks.
      I also took half of the syrup and boiled it down longer was the best pancake syrup I ever had!

13. Corinne says

We are making this to make snow cones. Healthy and free of chemicals. I will let you know how it goes over with the little ones. ?

14. Erin says

5 stars
    This was exactly what I was dreaming of – a strawberry syrup that wasn’t a puree. It’s so pretty! I made it for my blog where I test out recipes and it worked out perfectly.

15. Jordan says

5 stars
    Thanks for a great recipe! I live in rural Alaska and enjoy fresh produce when we get it, but produce, fruit in particular, tend to go bad before I can get to it all. This is a great way to make sure nothing goes to waste! Thanks!!!

16. Amber says

I am just curious , about how much juice is it for the 2 cups of sugar? I had made two whole flats into juice because I wanted to make jelly. I have some leftover but not sure how much i need for this recipe. Thanks for your time!

• Tori Avey says

I’m just guesstimating here Amber, but I think starting with 2 1/2 to 3 cups of juice would work. I never measured the leftover juice after the berries were removed, but my guess is that the water reduced by 1 to 1 1/2 cups by the time the sugar was added. At any rate, you can start with more liquid and simply simmer it down longer until the proper texture is achieved, it’s not an exact science. Good luck!

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
​​