Chickpea Kale and Fire Roasted Tomato Soup – Recipe for Healthy, Hearty Vegan Soup with Fennel, Leek and Turmeric
We’re at the tail end of summer and starting to experience slightly cooler evenings. While I’ll be sad to say goodbye to summer produce (gotta love those sweet tomatoes!), fall has always been my favorite time of year. It’s been a strange, crazy, emotional summer in my world for many reasons. Now we’re on the cusp of autumn and change is in the air– beautiful change. My kitchen is catching up with my mental state and I’m beginning to explore more healing, cleansing recipes geared for renewing the mind, body and spirit. This Chickpea Kale and Fire Roasted Tomato Soup is on our family menu now, and I’m absolutely loving it. It’s a healthy one pot “soup meal”– filling and nourishing without sacrificing a bit of flavor.
This vegan soup was inspired by Italian wedding soup, which has a lovely fennel flavor that just happens to work well with chickpeas. Their mild, slightly nutty flavor is super versatile and they’re a great source of protein. I’ve also added smoked paprika to give the soup depth and complexity, as well as turmeric and black pepper for an extra boost of anti-inflammatory nutrition. It’s so simple to make, only requires one pot and is hearty enough to stand on its own – perfect for quick weeknight meals. This goes great with a crusty slice of bread, or can simply be enjoyed on its own– it’s quite filling. I hope you like it as much as we do!
Affiliate links help to support my website and the free recipe content I provide. A percentage of any purchase you make via these links will go towards buying ingredients, photography supplies and server space, as well as all the other expenses involved in running a large cooking website. Thank you very much for browsing!
Beauty shots and styling by Bethany Nauert.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, diced (bulb only)
- 1 leek, rinsed and diced (for instructions on cleaning leeks click here)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (if salt sensitive you may use less to taste)
- 3 1/2 cups chickpeas, soaked and cooked or canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups fire roasted, diced tomatoes (home cooked or canned)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (more or less to taste - I usually add a bit more because we like spice)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and chopped or torn into bite sized pieces
You will also need
- Large saucepot
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepot over medium high heat. Add the onion, fennel, leek and salt. Cook until soft and translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for the kale. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and let cook for 15-20 minutes, uncovered, until soup reduces and thickens and the flavor is more pronounced.
- Stir in kale. Once it is wilted and warm the soup is ready to serve. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired-- more red pepper for heat, and more salt if desired.
Other Great Recipe Ideas