Chickpea Kale and Fire Roasted Tomato Soup – Recipe for Healthy, Hearty Vegan Soup with Fennel, Leek and Turmeric
We’re at the tail end of summer and starting to experience slightly cooler evenings. While I’ll be sad to say goodbye to summer produce (gotta love those sweet tomatoes!), fall has always been my favorite time of year. It’s been a strange, crazy, emotional summer in my world for many reasons. Now we’re on the cusp of autumn and change is in the air– beautiful change. My kitchen is catching up with my mental state and I’m beginning to explore more healing, cleansing recipes geared for renewing the mind, body and spirit. This Chickpea Kale and Fire Roasted Tomato Soup is on our family menu now, and I’m absolutely loving it. It’s a healthy one pot “soup meal”– filling and nourishing without sacrificing a bit of flavor.
This vegan soup was inspired by Italian wedding soup, which has a lovely fennel flavor that just happens to work well with chickpeas. Their mild, slightly nutty flavor is super versatile and they’re a great source of protein. I’ve also added smoked paprika to give the soup depth and complexity, as well as turmeric and black pepper for an extra boost of anti-inflammatory nutrition. It’s so simple to make, only requires one pot and is hearty enough to stand on its own – perfect for quick weeknight meals. This goes great with a crusty slice of bread, or can simply be enjoyed on its own– it’s quite filling. I hope you like it as much as we do!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Beauty shots and styling by Bethany Nauert.
Chickpea Kale and Fire Roasted Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 bulb fennel diced (bulb only)
- 1 leek leek rinsed and diced (for instructions on cleaning leeks click here)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt if salt sensitive you may use less to taste
- 3 1/2 cups chickpeas soaked and cooked or canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups fire roasted, diced tomatoes home cooked or canned
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper more or less to taste - I usually add a bit more because we like spice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bunch kale de-stemmed and chopped or torn into bite sized pieces
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepot over medium high heat. Add the onion, fennel, leek and salt. Cook until soft and translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for the kale. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and let cook for 15-20 minutes, uncovered, until soup reduces and thickens and the flavor is more pronounced.
- Stir in kale. Once it is wilted and warm the soup is ready to serve. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired-- more red pepper for heat, and more salt if desired.
tried this recipe?
Let us know in the comments!
Other Great Recipe Ideas