Boozy Orange Blossom Cranberry Sauce with Cointreau & Spices –
Holiday Recipe on ToriAvey.com
Thanksgiving is my favorite American holiday, and not only because I was born on the holiday (my mom called me her little turkey growing up). It’s a wonderful opportunity to gather with family and friends, express gratitude, and cook a fabulous meal. Since my Grandma Carolyn passed away I’ve become the family Thanksgiving host, a responsibility I’ve embraced wholeheartedly. My mom comes to stay with us a couple of days beforehand to help me shop and prepare. On the day she arrives we make the cranberry sauce. It’s the easiest thing to make ahead and it seems to taste even better after a couple of days in the refrigerator. When I was putting together my Thanksgiving Recipe Roundup this year I noticed that I’ve never posted my favorite cranberry sauce recipe. I’m correcting this ridiculous oversight right this very second. You must make this cranberry sauce. You must!
Some of you might be thinking, “but we always eat the canned kind, it’s tradition.” Shake up your family tradition and make a batch of this Boozy Orange Blossom Cranberry Sauce. I promise, you’ll never go back to canned. Ever. It’s the simplest thing in the world to make, and it adds such a lovely personal touch to the meal.
For those who don’t cook with alcohol, feel free to leave out the booze. If you can’t find orange blossom water (sold in most Middle Eastern and kosher markets), never fear, it will taste delightful without. I always try to have have a bottle of orange blossom water on hand, it gives such a lovely scent to sweet dishes– just a little extra “something.” When combined with the Cointreau, it infuses the cranberries with a very special flavor. This sauce never fails to impress at our family gatherings. Enjoy!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Boozy Orange Blossom Cranberry Sauce
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 12 ounces cranberries 1 bag
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch ginger
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau or more to taste- I usually use 3 tbsp
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange blossom water
- In a saucepan over medium heat, dissolve white and brown sugar into the orange juice.
- Add cranberries, orange zest and spices. Bring ingredients to a simmer.
- Cook over medium-low to medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the cranberries are popped and dissolving and the mixture begins to thicken.
- Turn off heat and pour in the Cointreau and orange blossom water, stir. Let the mixture slowly come back to room temperature. It will “gel” as it cools. Chill before serving.
Leave a Reply