Are you a fan of dill pickles? Then you’ll love this easy and delicious Crunchy Pickled Salad. Seven simple ingredients combine to create a mouthwatering pickle-flavored salad. The cold, fresh crunch is a perfect complement to a variety of dishes. It’s the perfect make-ahead salad for a hot summer day, or any time!
During the summer here in Los Angeles, we regularly see temps in the 90’s and 100’s. The last thing you want to do when it’s that hot is turn on the oven or a hot stove. That’s why I like to experiment with creating cold, no-cook dishes and salads that are quick and satisfying.
I created this salad during one of my kitchen experiments. It started with a simple family recipe for a Sephardic Jewish cucumber salad (cucumber, fresh dill, vinegar, oil and salt). After tweaking the dressing, I added some vegetables from the crisper drawer—organic red radishes and half a white cabbage leftover from another recipe.
The result is this delightfully flavorful salad—cold, crunchy, pickle-y, and easy to throw together at a moment’s notice. I call it my Crunchy Pickled Salad. If you like dill pickles, this is the salad for you!
I use Persian cucumbers in this recipe. They are smaller, thinner, and slightly sweeter than other cucumber varieties. Feel free to substitute pickling or Kirby cucumbers. You can also use English cucumbers, the long thin ones coated in wax (though I prefer the smaller varieties). Avoid regular fat cucumbers, as they are coated with wax and can be prone to bitterness.
My Crunchy Pickled Salad is vegan, parve, and gluten free. Increase the tartness by adding up to two tablespoons more of vinegar, if you like. Enjoy!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crunchy Pickled Salad
- 2 pounds Persian cucumbers
- 1/2 pound radishes (red or white)
- 1/2 white cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh minced dill
- 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar (or more to taste - use a gluten free vinegar to make GF)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (choose a mild-flavored olive oil for best results)
- 2 teaspoons salt (or more to taste)
- Slice the cucumbers into small rounds about ¼ inch thick. Do not peel them. Discard stems.
- Remove the leaves and stems from the radishes and slice them into thin rounds.
- Place the cucumbers and radishes in a salad bowl along with the shredded white cabbage.
- In a small bowl, whisk together fresh minced dill, white wine vinegar, olive oil and salt. Add more vinegar to taste for a more pickled flavor, and/or more salt if desired.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to blend.Refrigerate the salad for 30 minutes to let the flavors marinate. Serve cold.
- If you use red radishes, the red color may “bleed” a little and cause the radishes to turn pink. This does not affect the flavor of the salad, but if it bothers you, use white radishes instead.
Leave a Reply