Homemade Hot Cocoa Packets – Holiday Gift Food Craft with
Free Printable Holiday Pouch from ToriAvey.com
This holiday food craft was a joint effort between me and my buddy Brenda over at Secret Agent Josephine. Brenda continues to knock my socks off with her creativity. She had a fabulous idea to make homemade hot cocoa pouches as a holiday gift. I loved it. I came up with a hot cocoa powder recipe– a super simple, all natural blend that can be used with both dairy or non-dairy milks. Brenda worked her graphic magic, and together we ironed out a few design kinks. The result are these adorable Homemade Holiday Hot Cocoa Pouches, a gift that you can slip into a holiday card or add as a special touch to a homemade gift. Brenda photographed the process with her lovely daughter. She agreed (and I think you will, too)… this homemade cocoa is super delish!
What could be nicer than to give a warm cup of sweetness on a cold winter day? If you can’t hand deliver a steaming mug of rich hot cocoa to your family and friends, these Homemade Holiday Hot Cocoa Pouches are the next best thing. My recipe for homemade hot cocoa powder is way more natural than the store-bought packets… have you read the ingredients on those lately? So many preservatives and additives. This cocoa is all natural, the way it’s meant to be enjoyed! All you need are a few ingredients, some spare time, and a crafty sense of adventure.
Click below for the holiday hot cocoa pouch printables:
Print out as many as you need. The hot cocoa recipe below is enough for 24 servings, so you’ll be able to fill 24 pouches. After you print, follow these simple steps.
Homemade Holiday Hot Cocoa Pouches
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Printable pouch (links in blog above)
- Printer and paper
- Very small plastic zipper bags (snack size, 6 1/2 x 3 1/2 inch works well)
- Decorative stickers or decorative tape
- First, print out the PDF pouches of your choice - this one or this one - on normal 8 1/2 x 11 text weight paper (PDF links in blog above). The hot cocoa recipe makes enough for 24 servings, so you'll be able to fill 24 pouches.
- Cut along the outside of the packet, taking note of the instructions in red as you cut.
- Fold the pouch along the solid white lines. Fold the bottom flap up and add a bead of glue along all sides. Fold the left flap over and do the same.
- Fold the backside over the bottom and left flap. Smooth it down and let it dry.
- Now it's time to mix up a batch of hot cocoa powder! In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Kids will get a kick out of measuring these three simple dry ingredients.
- Stir it up to combine. Easy peasy!
- Carefully measure out 2 tablespoons of powder into a very small plastic zipper bag (snack size).
- Gently squeeze any excess air from the bag. Seal the bag and spread out the powder to flatten.
- Fold the bag in half.
- Place the sealed zipper bag into the paper pouch.
- Seal with a pretty sticker or a piece of decorative tape.
- Pop them in a pretty basket and you are ready to give them away. The pouches have printed instructions on the back for making your hot cocoa-- simply mix the powder with the hot milk of your choice, stir, and enjoy.
- Happy Hanukkah, or Happy Holidays! You have two printable options to choose from.
- You might just want to drink a cup yourself. We promise you, you'll never buy store bought again. This cocoa is simply delish, with no artificial ingredients-- just cocoa, sugar, and salt.
- Add some marshmallows (if you like that sort of thing), and enjoy!
- Who doesn't love a cup of hot cocoa? It warms your hands and warms your heart. Happy holidays to you and yours!
tried this recipe?
Let us know in the comments!
To learn more about the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah, click here.
For more Hanukkah crafts, click here.