If you read my post about the History of Chicken and Waffles, then you might be craving a batch yourself right about now. No need to travel to Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles or Gladys and Ron’s… you can make it yourself at home! It’s easy. Here’s a fried chicken recipe along with my family’s waffle recipe. It’s not exactly Wells, but it is a really great pairing. On their own, they’re delicious treats. When served together, with butter and maple syrup… wow! Seriously awesome eating. If you’re on a diet, don’t touch this meal with a ten food pole. If you’re looking for a serious dose of comfort food, press print immediately!
Note: An easy kosher modification appears below.
Affiliate links help to support my website and the free recipe content I provide. A percentage of any purchase you make via these links will go towards buying ingredients, photography supplies and server space, as well as all the other expenses involved in running a large cooking website. Thank you very much for browsing!
Fried Chicken Ingredients
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup red hot sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- Garlic powder
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken pieces, bone in, skin on
- 5 pints peanut oil for deep frying
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups warm lowfat milk (use dairy-free milk to make kosher)
- 1/4 cup melted butter (use margarine to make kosher)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Maple syrup, butter, hot sauce
You will also need
- 6 quart heavy bottomed pot, mixing bowls, waffle iron, paper towels
To Make Fried Chicken
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, water, and hot sauce together. Reserve.
- In another medium bowl, combine the self rising flour and 1 tsp black pepper.
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces generously with salt, then lightly with garlic powder.
- Dip the seasoned chicken pieces into the egg mixture, then coat in the seasoned flour.
- Pour oil into a deep pot up to half full with oil, then heat over medium till hot enough for frying (350 degrees F as measured on a candy thermometer).
- Submerge the chicken pieces carefully into the hot oil. Let the chicken fry till crispy and cooked through. Dark meat will take 13-14 minutes, white meat 8-10 minutes.
- Place fried chicken on paper towels to drain off excess oil. Serve.
To Make Waffles
- Preheat your waffle iron. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs, then beat in the lukewarm milk, butter and vanilla till well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir will a batter forms. A few small lumps are okay.
- Pour the batter onto your waffle iron in batches. Amount per waffle will vary according to the size of your waffle iron. Let the waffles cook till golden brown and crisp.
- Serve hot waffles with warm fried chicken, warmed maple syrup, and butter on the side.
- Optional Kosher Modifications: Substitute almond or soy milk for buttermilk, use a non-hydrogentated butter substitute (like Earth Balance) to replace the butter.