Spiked Limonana – Ice-Blended Lemonade with Fresh Mint and a Splash of Vodka. Delicious Frosty Cocktail
So… I’ve been gone for a while. “Off the grid,” so to speak. Did you notice? I’m in the midst of helping launch a new entertainment production company, and it’s been slightly (scratch that–MAJORLY) hectic over the past few weeks. We had our official launch party last night, and I’m finally able to sit down, relax and breathe. I wanted to share something to celebrate our new company, a festive recipe. This Spiked Limonana fit the bill. I meant to share it over Labor Day weekend, but things became too crazy. It’s still super hot in California even though we’re in the early stages of autumn, so I’m sharing this frosty cold beverage with no shame. Pumpkin spice lattes and stews can hold off for a little while longer. I’m squeezing every last ounce out of summer like the precious juice from a fresh ripe lemon!
Limonana is the national drink of Israel and it’s one of our favorites for sipping on during warm summer days. The taste immediately takes me back to our trips to the Mediterranean – it’s like a mini vacation, especially when it’s spiked with a little something special. We’ve enjoyed this drink for years without adding any alcohol, but I figured why not? The tipsy version with vodka is very refreshing and lovely, the perfect way to celebrate a momentous occasion– or maybe just to brighten up a nice warm evening. It would probably be nice with white rum or gin as well.
Looking for a non-alcohold version of this tasty drink? Try my regular Limonana recipe. Enjoy!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Beauty shots and styling by Bethany Nauert.
- 1/2 cup sugar, or more to taste
- 1 3/4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 1/2 cups ice
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 4 oz vodka
- 4 mint sprigs for garnish, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup of water and sugar. Heat over medium, whisking constantly, till the sugar dissolves. Let the water cool to room temperature.
- In a blender, combine the sugar water, fresh lemon juice, ice, fresh mint leaves, vodka and remaining 3/4 cup of water.
- Pulse for a few seconds, then blend for 1 minute till the ice is thoroughly crushed and the drink takes on the texture of a thick slushy. Taste. This recipe produces a mildly sweet limonana, which is the way I like it. Some people like it sweeter. Add sugar to taste, if desired, and blend again.
- Pour into cold glasses and serve. Garnish with sprigs of mint, if desired. Serve and enjoy!
Other Great Recipe Ideas